Sunday, March 20, 2011

Leuthold Memorial Tournament - History and Rules

Hey everyone. I'm back on here for the first time in over a year (sad, I know). Anyway, I do an annual NCAA Tournament Bracket Challenge that's a little bit different, and I've decided to move it to the blog. So, to start off, I'll explain the history, and then, I'll get to the rules.

The Leuthold Memorial Tournament started four (4) years ago while I was a freshman at Ohio University. My high school math teacher, Chris Leuthold, always did this bracket challenge as a way to combine two of his loves, sports and math. So, when I got out of high school, I wanted to continue the tradition. Naturally, it seemed that I should just do it myself with my friends.

We have four past winners. I was the inaugural champ with a small field. The tournament expanded (thanks to a growing Facebook presence) in 2008, with Mike Crofts taking home the title after Kansas won the championship. In 2009, Brandon Lanquist got top prize. And our reigning champion is Drew Curth.

Now that you know the history here are the rules.

1. There is NO bracket involved in this tournament.

2. If there's no bracket, then how does this work?? Let me tell you. There are 16 teams in each region of the tournament, so you do it like this...The team you think will win the most games in each region (AKA your Final Four team) will be assigned the #16. Then, the second best team (your Elite Eight loser) will be a #15, etc. all the way down to #1, who you expect has no chance of winning even once.

3. There are three (3) different Bonus opportunities.
- Champ: Pick the winner of the tournament (100 points)
- Upset Special: Pick a 13-16 seed that you think might win a game (50 points)
- Big Loser: Okay. A bracket IS involved in this. Take a bracket you've filled out and start at the tournament winner. Then, trace back to the team they beat in the title game. Once there, trace back to the team the title game loser beat in the Final Four, and continue all the way back to Round One. That Round One loser is your Big Loser (75 points)

4. Scoring: In the Round One, the team get face value. A #16 gets 16 points for a win. In the Second Round, the points double. In the Sweet 16, they triple, etc.

That's pretty much it. No one has much trouble with it except for some confusion involving the Big Loser. It's an interesting alternative, though, to a regular bracket.

No comments: